Classical Studies/History 28
Worlds of Late Antiquity
1. Identify briefly and state the significance for our subject of 8
of the following
people, places, or things (25 minutes recommended time)
Paul the Deacon
Symmachus (pick one: but make sure you identify correctly)
Gregory (pick one: but make sure you identify correctly)
Augustine (pick one: but make sure you identify correctly)
2. Answer four of the following questions (10 minutes each)
- a. Sketch the history of Great Britain after Roman troops departed.
- b. Sketch the history of the Lombards in Italy
- c. What were the principal achievements of Clovis?
- d. Outline the governmental reforms of Diocletian.
- e. What were the four chief cities of the later Roman empire and
each city's claim to that title? (NB: I have four cities in mind, but
you may get full
credit for a list that doesn't match mine if you make a good argument.
asking what the four chief cities of the US are.)
- f. What was iconoclasm?
- g. Why did Islam succeed so rapidly and spread so far?
- h. Who was the most effective emperor to serve in the period 395-519?
3. What one question were you sure I was going to ask, but didn't?